Chloe’s Consignment tips!
If the item is super cute or a sought-after brand, we will accept some minor stains and sell it “AS IS” at a lower price. For example, we will probably pass on a Target-brand cotton dress with stains on the sleeves, but we will accept a Hanna Andersson or Tea Collection cotton dress with the same stains.
The smaller the size, the better the condition the clothing must be. We are VERY PICKY with infant clothing since our customers expect their infant clothing to be “like new,” but we are much more forgiving with toddler and preschool age clothing.
We accept some seasonal clothing year round! Swimwear, sunhats, lightweight jackets, long-sleeve t-shirts, tights and warm jammies to name a few. We also accept certain Halloween costumes and dress-up wear year round.
TOP SELLERS FOR CHILDREN’S CLOTHING
If your clothing meets these criteria you can expect great sales!
- Popular Sizes – 12 months through 5/6 years
- Excellent condition – free of stains, not too worn or stretched out
- Current styles – purchased new within the last 2 to 3 years
- Popular Brands – here is a partial list of our best-selling, most sought after brands:
Adidas, Appaman, Billabong, Biscotti, Carter’s, Charlie Rocket, Cherokee, Children’s Place, Circo, City Threads, Crazy 8, Crewcuts, Dogwood, Ella Moss, Flaphappy, Gap, Gymboree, Halo, H&M, Hanna Andersson, Hurley, Iplay, Joah Love, Justice, Land’s End, Levis, LL Bean, Nike, Old Navy, O’Neill, Oshkosh B’Gosh, Janie & Jack, Mini Boden, Mulberribush, Naartjie, Olive Juice, Puma, Roxy, Splendid Littles, Stella McCartney, Volcom, Wes & Willy, Xhiliration, Zutano, Zyno
- All Organic Baby Clothing (partial list) – Baby Soy, Egg, Green Babies, Kate Quinn, Oeuf, Under the Nile
- All Boutique and European brands (partial list) – Agatha Ruiz, Bonpoint, Cakewalk, Catimini, Cachcache, Chipie, Clayeux, Deux par Deux, Dpam, Flora e Henri, IKKS, Jacadi, Jean Bourget, Jottum, Kate Mack, Lili Gaufrette, Marimekko, Mim-Pi, Miniman, Neige, Petite Bateau, Tartine e Chocolat,
- Also Cherry Tree, Columbia, Corky & Co., North Face, Patagonia, REI, Spyder, Widgeon, and other quality outerwear
- Comfortable and great fitting – Soft cotton t-shirts, jackets, hoodies, sweaters, jeans, sweatpants, leggings, tights, cotton dresses, skirts, PJ’s. If your child enjoyed wearing it, we will probably take it.
- Everyday Playwear – We sell far more t-shirts and leggings than dress shirts and khakis. We probably WON’T take the $60 Ralph Lauren corduroys that your 3-year-old wore once on a special occasion but we WILL take all of the $12 Old Navy sweatpants that he wore every day to preschool!
- Good Quality Footwear – Parents want a good fit and quality for their children’s shoes. Some popular shoe brands include:
Stride Rite, Merrell, See Kai Run, Pediped, Robeez, Livie & Luca, Converse, Toms, Vans, Crocs, Nike, New Balance, Teva, Keen, Kickers, Jumping Jacks, Uggs, Geox, Primigi, Naturino and all quality European footwear.
We will also take some Smart Fit and Circo and we are always looking for ballet/tap shoes, rainboots and Heelys.We do not take a lot of slippers, but we will take quality brands such as Acorn or LL Bean.
NOT-SO-TOP SELLERS FOR CHILDREN’S CLOTHING:
We have a lot less demand for these items.
- Infant sizes and bigger kids – You know how it goes – you get carloads full of gifts and hand-me-downs the first year. Parents don’t buy a lot of second-hand infant clothing and when they do, they are very selective. Therefore, WE ONLY TAKE VERY BEST 12 MONTHS AND UNDER CLOTHING IN THE VERY BEST CONDITION. If you have bags full of used Carter’s onesies and sleepers, we probably won’t be able to take very much. Same goes for the Gerber, Little Me, First Impressions, Koala Baby and other less sought after infant brands.
- We also don’t have quite as much demand for sizes over 7/8 years so we are a bit more selective with those sizes.
- Outdated Styles – If you bought the clothing more than about two or three years ago it will be less appealing to our shoppers. The stuff that has been boxed up in your garage for years? Well… : /
- Unpopular Brands – Here is a partial list of brands that our shoppers do not prefer. Most of the time we will pass on these brands. We do make exceptions however so if you liked it, bring it in!
Authentic Kids, B.T. Kids, Baby Togs, Bon Bebe, Bonnie Baby, Bonnie Jean, Bright Future, Bright Starts, Calvin Klein, Canyon River Blues, Charter Club, Cradle Togs, Dakota Kids, Disney, Ellemenno, Faded Glory, First Impressions, Garanimals, Genuine Kids, George, Green Dog, Guess, Healthtex, High Sierra, Honors, Jumping Beans, Kid Connection, Kids Headquarters, Kids Korner, Koala Kids, KRU, Little Lass, Little Me, Lullaby Club, Nannette, Next, Nordstrom Baby, Rare Editions, Sesame Street, Sonoma, Sprockets, Starting Out, US Polo Association, Vitamins, Youngland
- Uncomfortable, Not Practical or Dressy Clothing / New With Tags. You know that expensive infant dress with the scratchy lace collar you were given as a shower gift but never put on your daughter, or the stylish but uncomfortable jeans that your son won’t wear? How about those stiff little Nikes that you can’t imagine stuffing your 8-month-old’s feet into? The hand-knit hat that looks adorable but constantly falls off and does nothing to shade your baby’s face from the sun? A peasant skirt for a 6-month-old? At Chloe’s we call these the “Cute-But-Useless” and unfortunately, our shoppers don’t want them either.
- If the original tags are still on a piece of clothing we are often NOT going to take it—including that aforementioned expensive infant dress. Seems counter-intuitive until you ask yourself “Why” you didn’t take the tags off. There was usually a very sensible reason. We will applaud your good sense as we hand those items back to you or toss them into Donation.
BABY GEAR TIPS
- The lighter the better. MacLaren, Combi or other lightweight strollers do well. Umbrella strollers are always in demand. Bulky “travel systems” or “full size strollers” DO NOT sell well. The heavier strollers like Graco, Eddie Bauer, Jeep, Evenflo or even heavier versions of European brands like Chicco or Inglesina are difficult to sell. In general, the bulkier the stroller, the cheaper we must price it. Bring in your bulky stroller for consignment as long as you understand we are going to price it CHEAP.
- Double strollers and jogging strollers usually sell well. Especially if they are not TOO heavy and bulky.
- “Boutique” brand strollers sell well AT THE RIGHT PRICE. We can sell your Bugaboo, Bumbleride, Quinny, Stokke, Orbit, Uppababy or B.O.B. stroller but we must be upfront with you about the pricing. In our experience, parents do not tend to want to pay a lot for a used stroller. Please check with us before bringing in your boutique stroller and we will be happy to discuss pricing options with you.
- Good sellers – exersaucers, baby swings, pack and plays, high chairs, frame-style backpack carriers, Arm’s Reach style co-sleepers, pressure mounted baby gates, potties.
- Not-so-good sellers – bouncer seats activity gyms, baby monitors, bottle/wipes warmers, child-proofing products, shopping cart covers. We have little demand for these items and we will only take a few of the newest / nicest ones.